Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The 3/50 project


I found this site through a framing chat room I take part in and just thought it was wonderful. Buying local has always been pretty important to us and these guys seem to really be working to spread the word.
Everyone has heard the buy local spiel before, but it totally makes sense. The sheer numbers of dollars that leave our area are staggering, and if spent locally could make a significant change. I often think about the larger institutions we do business with on a daily basis, banks, insurance firms etc. and find myself wondering where they go to get their framing and art needs taken care of. Most of this need is serviced from other states, or other countries. That makes me sad(not to mention making it hard to feed my kids).

Anyway, check out the site and see if it resonates with you.

www.the350project.net

And as always, be sure to check out the things that keep shoes on my children's feet.

www.hamptonhouse.net

2 comments:

  1. I totally support buy local but the only problem I have is that many of the local business are not open when I am available to shop. My husband and I work during the week so most of our shopping is done on Saturday and Sunday evenings so we are forced to go to the larger cities in order to shop stores that are open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo the previous comment about local business hours versus my work schedule. I really think local businesses should look into extended hours at least 1 evening a week and being open on Saturdays. That being said, I believe in supporting local businesses is not only good for the local economy and community, but it is better for the environment as well.

    ReplyDelete